Sunday, January 12, 2014

Day 72 - Baby It's Cold outside!!

Today was extraordinary!  We were blessed that a local Triathlon coach Eric Hodska honored Anna at his annual Polar Plunge.  In case you are numb to what this is (pun totally intended) it is when a bunch a crazies jump in to ice cold water at the beginning of a new year in honor of a local person in need.  

We were contacted about this event about a month ago and were speechless when Eric asked honor Anna.  It all sounded great but seeing it in action was breath taking.  We showed up at Southport Beach in Fairfield CT.  (A beach I know so very well, as it is part of my bike training route.) on Saturday January 11 8:20 am.  It was a foggy morning and the wind had kicked up the surf at the beach.  Not something you typically would see this time of year. There was not a soul in sight!  I was kind of surprised since the event start at 8:45.  Then at about 8:35 a big parade of cars started to roll in, almost on Que.  It was amazing!  Before I knew it the beach was crawling with almost 100 people all there to support Anna in her fight against Leukemia.  It was such a great feeling to see all the love and support.  Lots of familiar and new faces were on the scene.  I will never forget the feeling of this morning.

At 8:40 Eric quickly gathered the crowd and had some heart warming words to say about Anna.  It was hard to hold back the tears.  Anna was so proud, it was written all over her beautiful little face.  Shortly after the heartfelt words, we were told to get our bathing suits ready!  At 8:47 we took a picture and then there was a count down from 5...4...3...2...1 PLUNGE!  And off we went.  The water was a frigid 36 degrees!  For the 15 seconds I spent in the water all I could think about was how much pain Anna has and will have to deal with.  It made the pain I felt from the cold water seem inconsequential.  We all screamed going in and coming out.  I dried off and looked for my beautiful little girl and she was smiling form ear to ear.  It warmed my heart and my feeling of pain from the cold waters seemed to disappear.  After we thanked everyone I went to Anna in the car and she for the first time that I can ever remember blew me a huge unsolicited kiss which came with a huge smile.  She was sooooooooo happy!  I wish I had a camera for that moment.  I will never for get this for the rest of my life. 

Thank you to all that have and continue to keep Anna in your thoughts and prayers.  We are so blessed to have a phenomenal support team.  From our family, to friends and even our local community I say WOW and Thank you.  The journey is not over and it is guaranteed to be even more difficult than expected, but Anna is up for the fight!  And this blogger will do anything possible to make sure that I am there for her on the battle field ever step of the way!  Today that battle field was a balmy 36 degrees in the Long Island Sound.

I love you Anna and always will!!!! XOXO  #821ForAnna
Pre Plunge Talk and Photo
Getting ready!
And We're OFF!!!!
The exit!!!!!!
ITS COLD!!  AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Hardcore hanging in the Sound
Anna Mom and Anne Selfie!

Anna with some of our Triathlete family!








No comments:

Post a Comment